This year (2018), the Dunedin Marathon provided two mini marathons for children as a one off event on the morning of the marathon. The events started at 8am at The Caledonian Ground, Logan Park, headed into the park and finished inside Forsyth Barr Stadium.
- 1 km for 5 to 8 year olds
- 2 km for 9 to 12 year olds
The mini marathon is essentially a fun run and is not a competitive race and there are no placings nor times recorded.
Entries were placed online
- The school with the most entries won a prize
- Each school received a letter inviting children to take part
- Inside the stadium there was a carnival atmosphere for families
- Each child received a goodie bag and a special commemorative wrist band at the finish line
Race packs were picked up in the two days previous to the mini marathon.
- 7.45am – Assemble
- 7.50am – Pre-race warm up
- 8.00am – Start of the races